Nurbs and intersections

Good morning,
is there any plan to include nurbs (curves and surfaces) in the core library or in any additional plugin?
It will be very useful to have:

• Nurbs from points with degree
  • Nurbs Surfaces
  • Nurbs/Plane Intersection (providing a point and a parameter on the curve)
  • Nurbs to Plane projection

I know that this can be achieved using Rhino, but I believe that including these functionality in the core will allow to build more robust application, without using third party tools.

1 Like

hi,

yes @romana is working on compas_nurbs but it is still in the early stages of development. the functionality of this package will probably be made available in the core library through the plugin mechanism developed by @gonzalocasas similar to the mechanism used for boolean operations, for example…

1 Like

Very good news! Is there a POC that I can get my hands on to test?

Cesare Caoduro
Digital Engineering Technology Manager
D +61 2 8934 0439
Cesare.Caoduro@aecom.com

AECOM
Level 21, 420 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
PO Box Q410, QVB PO, Sydney, NSW, 1230
T +61 2 8934 0000 F +61 2 8934 0001

Hi cecare,
Just fyi: in the beginning the package will provide NURBS curves and surfaces and curve/surface interpolation (nurbs from points). Intersections will be an upcoming feature in the future that will hopefully be pushed by the open source community ;).

Is there any update on this topic. It’s been about a year and I was wondering if this extension has been developed or not.
Thanks!

hi cesare,

the functionality is not yet integrated in the core library, but still resides in its own package
https://compas.dev/compas_occ/latest/index.html

not all of the functionality you were asking about is already there, but we have recently picked this up again and are making progress quickly. contributions, also in the form of feature requests or bug reports, are very welcome!