Export of Rhino geometry to .json for CRA analysis

Hello everyone,

I’m currently writing my master thesis at the TU Munich on the structural analysis of discrete element assemblies and would like to compare different approaches and their results to create a workflow.
One analysis method I want to include is the Rigid Block Limit Analysis or its successors, the Rigid Block Equilibrium (RBE) and the Coupled Rigid-Block Analysis (CRA). Therefore, I came across the COMPAS framework with the packages compas_assembly and compas_cra, which should provide an easy way of importing geometry from Rhino and includes RBE and CRA solvers.

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten this approach to work yet. The compas_cra package doesn’t seem to work properly with newer versions of the COMPAS core package, while rolling back to older versions introduces new complications. However, with the .yml file from Github and version 0.9.0 of compas_view2, almost everything worked.
The provided sample files from compas_cra, which refer to geometry stored in .json files, still don’t work for me, their format seems to be outdated. The examples from compas_assembly, which also use the compas_cra solver, work (I don’t know how to get the DEM viewer, but switching to the CRA_viewer works).

In the next step I wanted to use my own geometry from Rhino. Using the provided mesh_to_assembly_json.py script from Github results in errors, but I tried changing it a bit to get it working. As the compas_assembly .json files seemed to work in the examples, I thought using this package for the assembly creation instead would be possible. Here’s the core of my changed script (I left out the unchanged parts):

from compas_rhino.objects import select_meshes
from compas_assembly.datastructures import Assembly

guid = select_meshes()
assembly = Assembly()
assembly.from_rhinomeshes(guid)

Mesh selection in Rhino works, but the command assembly.from_rhinomeshes(guid)`` results in the error “Object_3$3 is not callable”.

I would be very grateful for any help. Is there a solution to my problem? Is there a better way of exporting Rhino geometry to a working .json file for analysis with compas_cra? Like changing the geometry to a compas object first using compas_rhino.conversions? I already tried using this approach, but didn’t get it working either.
Maybe somebody could provide me a working conda environment configuration for compas_cra, with older package versions that fit together?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards
Korbinian Reischl