Externally Guided Motion

Hi, Is there documentation on how to work with EGM through compas_rrc?

Currently EGM is not integrated to COMPAS_RRC. EGM stands for external guided motion, to support this we would need to integrate or to develop a motion planner. For now, we focus to use ABB’s internal motion planner as good as possible.

But thanks to the multi-tasking functionality of COMPAS_RRC we can activate and deactivate EGM with custom functions.

Please contact rrc@arch.ethz.ch if you need further information, maybe I can connect you with some experienced EGM users.

Thanks for your question, best

Philippe

1 Like

Hi Philippe,

I sent an email to rrc@arch.ethz.ch on May 16th, but never heard back.

Best,
Salma

Sure! Here is the text with the corrections:

Hi Salma,

I’ve received your email but unfortunately, I haven’t found the time to give you a valid answer until now. For the last three weeks, I have been on a business trip (RobArch in Toronto and ABB Connect in Sweden), but now I’m back and I will work through my emails.

In general, I would like to take this opportunity to explain that an ABB Robot Controller offers three common interfaces: Robot Web Service (RWS), External Guided Motion (EGM), and TCP/IP Sockets.

The major communication method for COMPAS_RRC builds on TCP/IP Sockets and works with our own _RRC protocol. As developers, we call this the application interface, and it functions as a simple bidirectional serial communication (Sender/Receiver). Currently, we are working in the background on the integration of the RWS, first for IRC5 controllers with RobotWare (RW) 6.xx and second for OmniCore controllers with RW 7.xx. We call this new communication method the system interface in COMPAS_RRC, and it will allow remote control of the robot controller, such as Start, Stop, or PP-Main, and to read the status of the robot, such as current joint values, current position, or the value of RAPID variables.

It is possible that we will integrate EGM in the future as well, but this is currently not in our scope.

Best,
Philippe