Named selection for vertices possible?

I am new to RV2 and am experimenting with different types of shells - with creases more specifically. AFAIK, one has to select vertices in the force diagram and move them accordingly:

However selecting all of them manually every time - especially if the selection process is not so straightforward - become very cumbersome. So I thought, that NamedSelections would make the job easier, but they don’t seem to work while invoking the MoveVertices command.

Any ideas, how this can be achieved more smoothly?
Thanks and have a great day!

looping @juney into the conversation

@rudolf.neumerkel Thanks for reaching out to us!

What do you mean by NamedSelections? This is not a function or command available in RV2.

Given the currently available features of RV2, one effective way of creating creases (meaning large discrepancies in the lengths of edges in the force diagram) is to combine moving of the vertices, with setting length constraints to the edges of the force diagram. This can be done iteratively as well as incrementally (gradually increasing or decreasing the edge length constraints) to achieve desired results.

More sophisticated selection options are indeed in development, although this is not so straightforward for vertices as it is for edges.

Yes, I tried using the NamedSections native to Rhino - so that when changing the force diagram vertices one can easily select all necessary vertices with once click.

Awesome, I guess you are referencing to the functionality described here?

…should have maybe gone through all examples from the documentation before posting here.
Will try it out and respond afterwards!

Thank you!

Ok, awesome, this is a great way to achieve this. However the fundamental problem still exist (although a bit less is needed now):

One still has to manually select all necessary edges manually… some kind of stored and named list of objects would be useful in order to quickly visualise different values.

Is there a possibility to do this in a more “parametric” way? I guess it should be possible with Python? Is there any documentation on how to access RV2 with Python?

Cheers,
Rudi

hi rudi,

the process of using the RV2 Python packages directly is documented here