Compas_fea example file error

Hello,

I try to run the compas_fea beam frame example on Rhino and I get the attached error message. The script gets stuck in the Abaqus analysis. I have linked Abaqus in my Path folder, I can open it using the cmd prompt, and it runs, but do I need to do something else?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi Voulp,

As this is the plot_data part, it is most likely the Abaqus analysis has worked okay, as you are now trying to plot results.

It is most probably an issue with your Anaconda/CPython install and/pr PATH outside of Rhino (which the rhino module and plot_data function try to access), or, a PYTHONPATH issue for compas_fea.

I cannot tell which without more info. Can you pop by the office so we can find out more? Then we can post the solution back here.

Andrew

0 Likes

Problem was related to your group’s installation of Abaqus which appears to not have MPI installed/support for using Abaqus MPI multiprocessing. It was not a path problem as expected above.

The current temp solution is to turn off multiple cpus with cpus=1 in analyse_and_extract(), or a later better fix is for me to enable the THREADS multiprocessing option. This is Issue #100 on the issue tracker.

2 Likes

Another (I guess rather obvious) option is to simply to install Abaqus MPI. Installer is (atleast for me) located at:

C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\6.14-1\installation_info\client_install

It should be installed automatically with Abaqus according to SIMULIA…

0 Likes

I think it has something to do with your startup install scripts for Abaqus, whenever I install, I get a pop-up saying that MPI is getting installed, so something is happening automatically my end.

Either way, the problem should be resolved now as I have turned on THREADS instead of MPI as the default multi-processing option, there was no speed difference for me. See the closed issue here. Therefore you can revert to turning off cpus = 1 (hopefully).

0 Likes